STARTER PROBLEMS?

• Adm1986
  • 1999 GMC SIERRA

I have a '99 GMC sierra 1500 V8 5.3L pick up, I have replaced the ignition coils, the battery, installed a stage 2 intake and I just recently replaced the starter because my old started went out, and I found out that the started went out when I went to go turn on my truck, I placed the keys in, and my dash lights came on, but as soon as went to turn it over, the whole truck shut off and I didnt have power to anything, I pulled the keys out gave it a few seconds, herd some clicks placed my key back in tried it again and it did the same thing, after I replaced the starter, along with a stock heat shield (last week) it was starting up fine, but now its doing the same thing again. Is it possible that I have already fried the brand new (not re-manufactured) starter, or is it something else? If it is the starter what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Monday, June 6th, 2011 AT 11:56 AM

• M_H_RITZEL

I would start with checking the wires, to me it sounds like a wire is not making a good connection. The wire may look good but inside there is corrosion especially at the ends. Check all the wires not just the battery cables

Monday, June 6th, 2011 AT 12:43 PM