Starter Problems?

ADM1986
  • 1999 GMC SIERRA

I have a '99 GMC sierra 1500 V8 5.3L pick up, I have replaced the ignition coils, the battery, installed a stage 2 intake and I just recently replaced the starter because my old started went out, and I found out that the started went out when I went to go turn on my truck, I placed the keys in, and my dash lights came on, but as soon as went to turn it over, the whole truck shut off and I didnt have power to anything, I pulled the keys out gave it a few seconds, herd some clicks placed my key back in tried it again and it did the same thing, after I replaced the starter, along with a stock heat shield (last week) it was starting up fine, but now its doing the same thing again. Is it possible that I have already fried the brand new (not re-manufactured) starter, or is it something else? If it is the starter what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Monday, June 6th, 2011 AT 11:56 AM

M_H_RITZEL

I would start with checking the wires, to me it sounds like a wire is not making a good connection. The wire may look good but inside there is corrosion especially at the ends. Check all the wires not just the battery cables

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, June 6th, 2011 AT 12:43 PM