WHEN I START MY 1999 GMC JIMMY THE OIL PRESSURE ...

1999 GMC Jimmy

darrenbrandt

April, 20, 2011 AT 11:33 PM

When I start my 1999 GMC Jimmy the oil pressure gauge spikes up over 80 and stays there. Oil is fine and recently changed. How do I tell if I have a bad oil pump or oil pressure snding unit or a switch or other malfunction?

caradiodoc

April, 21, 2011 AT 12:00 AM

Best place to start is by measuring the pressure with a mechanical gauge to see what you really have. I'd suspect the sending unit first but for a quick check, unplug the connector from the sending unit. If the gauge stays at maximum, that wire is grounded somewhere.

Wrenchtech

April, 21, 2011 AT 12:07 AM

Checking the pressure with a mechanical gauge is a good idea but with the labor time involved to do that, it may be cheaper and easier to just throw a new sender on it. It's cheaper than the labor time.

darrenbrandt

April, 21, 2011 AT 1:51 AM

Is the oil pressure sending unit easy to replace and if so where is it located at?

Wrenchtech

April, 21, 2011 AT 1:55 AM

That one should be in the back of the engine, next to the distributor. It just threads in but you may need a special socket.

darrenbrandt

April, 24, 2011 AT 8:58 PM

I took off the air intake and the distributor off and got to the oil pressure sensor to find that it was unplugged. I plugged it back in and that fixed my problem. Thanks for your help.

Wrenchtech

April, 24, 2011 AT 9:00 PM

I wish they were all that simple.

caradiodoc

April, 24, 2011 AT 10:15 PM

No kidding. That choice isn't even on my dart board!

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord