TAKE OUT IGNITION KEY TO STOP ENGINE RUNNING

1999 Ford Transit

ford tranny123

February, 21, 2012 AT 8:03 PM

Hi I have a 1999 2.5 ford transit my problem is my van drives and starts fine but when I take out the ignition key to stop the van it just carry's on running. If I have my headlights on they will go off if the key comes out but the van just runs then I have to stall it in 5th gear any help would really be appreciated.

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

fixitmr

February, 21, 2012 AT 8:13 PM

Does it run normal or jerky/sputtery?

fixitmr

February, 21, 2012 AT 8:15 PM

You didn't mention what motor.

fixitmr

February, 21, 2012 AT 8:17 PM

Check fuel shutoff solenoid.

ford tranny123

February, 23, 2012 AT 4:07 PM

Hi yes it runs perfectly its very strange ford transit 2.5 disel and where would the fuel shut off solenoid be and how would I check it? Thanks 4 your replys very appreiceated.

fixitmr

February, 23, 2012 AT 7:47 PM

The solenoid - will be a roundish unit screwed into side of pump. And usually with 1 wire going to it, which is the feed for it when it is running. It gets the earth through the body of the solenoid itself being screwed into the pump which is earthed via the engine. Once u located it - do a quick test. Get a test bulb - make one out of an old indicator lamp unit or something similar, and connect one end to earth and the other end to the wire which connects to the solenoid. Switch the ignition on, - this should light up the bulb, and confirming that the wiring of the vehicle is ok up to the solenoid. Solenoid should make click noise when voltage is applied.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006