Do I have have keys reprogrammed if I replaced PCM with a used one

ELIZABETH1212
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

I put a used PCM in a 99 ford ranger do I have to have the keys reprogramed. Won't start just flashes theft light

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 3:02 PM

Pcm have to be reprogrammed at dealer as they are vin specific

-2
Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 3:10 PM
ELIZABETH1212

The company we bought it from programs PCM before sending it to you.

+2
Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 3:12 PM

Then you still need to get it reprogrammed for anti theft which would include your key fobs

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 3:23 PM

You might try resetting anti theft look in handbook if you still have it. Or go back tot he site and it may be there

-1
Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 3:24 PM

FORD KEY PADS

Enter permanent factory code

Press the 1/2 button within 5 seconds to enter programming mode

Within 5 seconds enter new code, doors will lock, unlock to verify code, this erases previous codes
remotes will also need to be programmed.

FORD KEY PADS/REMOTES

Insert key, turn ignition off to on eight times in succession, ending with key in on position doors will
lock, unlock to verify in programming mode

Press any button on new remote, doors will lock, unlock to verify

Do the previous step with the second remote, doors will lock unlock to verify.

Turn ignition switch off. Doors will again lock, unlock to verify.

-1
Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 3:26 PM
ELIZABETH1212

When we try and start truck with new PCM it won't crank theft light will flash a 2 and 3 and from googling that it says key does not match PCM. So just trying to figure out if this sounds right or is it possible company did not program new PCM. It will sometimes flash a 1 and 6 to not sure what that one is. Is it common to have to get keys reprogrammed even if PCM is programmed for that vin

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 3:33 PM

You are probably talking about a 1600 code which means the key doesn't match. You'll have to get this reprogrammed at a dealer. I really don't know how someone can sell a pcm already programmed when they don't have the vin. If it is it's just a general one. If you change a pcm it HAS to be reprogrammed for the vin including keys/keyfobs

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 6:35 PM
ELIZABETH1212

Thank you for the info. Going to assume company we bought pcm was wrong bout telling us it would be flashed an ready to go. It's at the dealer now

Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 2:07 PM
ELIZABETH1212

So dealer says there is a short somewhere that its not the pcm. So any ideas on what it might be? Truck will not start on its own you can spray it with ether and it will start right up and run just won't switch gears if you drive it only if you manually switch it and then it's only 1st and 2nd

+1
Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 7:46 PM

Did they check the fuel pressure? It may not be turning the fule pump on and was the inertia switch checked to see if it is kicked on. Why was the pcm replaced to begin with? There are porbably 200 wires running to the pcm so asking where the short is is kindo fnil at athis point. The circuits will have to be traced down to see whichone it is. I would start with the fuel circuit or see is there are any bent pins on the pcm where it was connected first. Did the dealer reflash it or what exactly did they do?

+1
Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 7:55 PM

Also waht engine is in this?

Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 7:57 PM
ELIZABETH1212

The dealer just hooked scan tool to it and could not communicate. He said it kept telling him to turn key on and it was. Fuel pump kicks on and correct pressure. Has spark correct compression injectors are not opening shoot with one shot of ether and vehicle runs under own power. We tried to replace pcm cause that was what we thought the problem was but original pcm is back on it. Couldn't program keys to the new/used pcm kept getting a code 1:6 faulty link.

Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 8:09 PM
ELIZABETH1212

Sorry it's the 3.0 flex fuel

Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

Shorts can be hard to find, and this isn't the place for it for obvious reasons, it will have to be physically looked at. Wha I would suggest is to check all the fuses in the underhood junction box then check the coolant temp sensor it shold have abot 1550 ohms when at 230 degrees, fuel pressure sensor which shold have about 2.2 volts at 30 psi and intake air temp sensor which shold be about 3.51 volts at 50 degrees lower volt astemp is higher. And finallyo r first if you like disconnect any sensor to see if engine starts. That wil put it in open loop. You might also try checking resistance on crank and cam sensors, although we dont' have any numbers here so you might check against a new one. Other than that I have nothing else to give you. Oh, one otehr thing there is a ground wire on the rad support for pcm and rpcm relay. Make sure that is good and then check pcm relay as that runs the inectors form a signal the pcm will give it.

Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 10:36 PM
LEON SCOTT

I just had a flywheel and a ignition coil replaced in my 2003 ford Ranger super truck and the guy is telling me I have to get my key flashed, does this sound right.

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016 AT 7:02 PM
LEON SCOTT

3.0

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016 AT 7:02 PM

Read above answers and next repost question not on a reply

-1
Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 AT 6:30 AM