When the timing belt brakes is there a way to.

JULIAN54
  • 1999 FORD ESCORT
When the timing belt brakes is there a way to put the engine timing back without having to remove the cylinder head?

The car was only going 20mph when it broke, I have looked at doing it by removing the cylinder head but it is too big of a job for me.
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 10:50 AM

WRENCHTECH
The head doesn't have to be removed to replace a timing belt but if the valve where damaged when the belt broke, the head will have to be removed to repair that damage. Some engine do damage and some do not. What is the 8th digit of your VIN#?
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 10:57 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
It all depends if you bent a valve or not. You should put each cylinder at top dead center and do a compression test first. If all is well you don't have to remove the cylinder head. Just make sure you line up the number one cylinder to top dead center and then align the cam and crankshaft marks so everything is in alignment when you install the new belt. It is a good idea to turn the belt a few time and re-check that the timing marks are still in alignment.
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 10:59 AM
JULIAN54
It is B.
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 11:07 AM
JULIAN54
#DrCranknWrench how do you do a compression test and also how are you supposed to know when each cylinder is in the right place cause you can't see them?
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 11:12 AM
WRENCHTECH
There is no VIN "B" Look at it again. It could be a "3" or a "P"
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 11:17 AM
JULIAN54
It's defiantly b I counted to the 8th digit, we live in the uk does that make a difference?
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 11:25 AM
WRENCHTECH
Yes, that could make a difference. We don't have a "B" engine in the US so I have no info on it.
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 11:28 AM
JULIAN54
Ok, thank you for trying anyway
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 11:43 AM
If you need directions for checking compression, check our homepage under the DIY section for directions.
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 AT 2:54 PM