AM TRYING TO TRACK DOWN AN ELECTRICAL/BATTERY DRAIN PROBLEM AND NEED SOME HELP.

1999 Dodge Ram

bigjp79

February, 21, 2012 AT 3:36 PM

My radio and windshield wipers have power while truck is off. I have replaced ignition switch, multifunction switch and the highline ctm. Problem remains. All fuses are ok, both under dash and in cab, relays in pdc all check out ok. Do not see any burnt wires or terminals under dash. I believe the accessories are being fed by either a shorted wire or a stuck relay. This is not a "come and go" problem it started 9 months ago and has been the same the whole time. What should I check next?

February, 21, 2012 AT 5:00 PM

Unplug the ignition switch connector and see if problem persists.

bigjp79

February, 21, 2012 AT 6:06 PM

Unplugged, radio and wipers still have power.

February, 21, 2012 AT 6:50 PM

At the wiper motor, test the Dark Blue wire for battery voltage. If voltage is available, check the fuse # 6 for battery voltage with ignition turned off. If voltage uis available, unplug the fuse and test the wiper motor DK Blue wire again. If voltage is available, you have a short to power for the wiper motor which is also related to the radio as it is within the ACC circuit.

bigjp79

February, 23, 2012 AT 5:49 PM

No voltage at wiper motor with fuse pulled.I think the entire ACC circuit might be live. The blk/wht wire in the center of the ignition switch connector has voltage when disconnected. Both the radio and wipers lose power when the respective fuses are pulled.

February, 23, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

Black/White wire should not be hot when ifnition is turned off. You need to check where this wire is getting battery voltage from.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011