WINDSHIELD WASHER MOTOR LOCATION

1999 Dodge Caravan

northerngal

December, 6, 2010 AT 11:07 PM

Where is the windshield washer motor located on a 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport?

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2010 AT 11:21 PM

Remove the wiper arms and the black plastic cowl cover. It's under there. What's the symptom? The Body Computer causes most of the problems when the motor doesn't run at all. Also, before you replace a non-running motor, use a test light to check for voltage on the metal case of the motor while the ignition switch is on and the wiper switch is on low or high. If you find voltage on the case, the brass ground strap has a burned spot. Running a new ground wire will solve that problem.

northerngal

December, 8, 2010 AT 12:27 AM

Thanks caradiodoc. Problem is that the windshield washer liquid just stopped spraying on the front. Thought at first we were out of fluid, but the back works fine, so the problem has to be w/the front wipere motor doesn't it? The wipers work fine, just no washer fluid.

caradiodoc

December, 8, 2010 AT 12:40 AM

Check for voltage at the washer motor wire when a helper presses the switch. Since the '96 models, this is all controlled by the insanely complicated Body Computer. If you find voltage to the connector for the washer motor, and the ground wire tests ok, replace the washer motor. If there is no voltage getting to the connector, suspect the Body Computer as the most likely cause but it wouldn't hurt to test the washer switch first.

The washer motor is under the fluid reservoir. I never had to work on one so I don't know what it takes to get to the plug. You might have to reach it from under the van.

northerngal

December, 10, 2010 AT 2:39 PM

Thanks cardiodoc. Printed out your replies, and hope to get my husband to work on it ASAP. Appreciate the prompt reply. Thanks again for your help!

caradiodoc

December, 10, 2010 AT 6:24 PM

Brain is getting old and wrinkled. It should have occurred to me that when you press the washer switch, the wipers will take three swipes too automatically. If they do, you know the switch is ok. That just leaves the pump motor and the Body Computer. If you find voltage to the pump motor connector, and the ground wire is ok, it's the pump motor that's bad.

northerngal

December, 11, 2010 AT 1:55 PM

Thanks again cardiodoc. You're right, the wipers do move when I hit the button, so the switch must be OK. Will let you know what the problem was as soon as I get hubby on it! On a farm tho' and clutch just went on tractor, so that's the priority at the moment!

Windshield Washer Reservoir Replacement
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Acura TL
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Explorer
Wiper Blade Replacement GMC Yukon
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Wiper Blade Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Wiper Blade Replacement Porsche Carrera