MY VAN WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE, I HAVE THE TROUBLE CODES, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TO FIX?

1999 Chrysler Town and Country

happy2beamom

October, 5, 2012 AT 2:11 PM

My '99 Chrysler town and country is currently undriveable. The transmission will not go into gear. The trouble codes I got when it was working are P0700, P0403 and P1776. It did this once before but it made a bunch of noise and di some bucking and then wouldn't go into gear. It sat for a couple of months. We needed to move it and the battery was dead. After we recharged the battery it started and we were able to drive it without any problems. I assume that's because the pcm cleared due to the battery being dead. We have driven it for about a month or so and were able to get the trouble codes. A couple of days ago I went to drive it. I made it to the end of the street and then it did not go anywhere. I tried to put it in reverse, drive, etc. To no avail. It currently will not move. Any ideas? Should I try to get the codes myself to see if it comes up with something different? Thanks for any help you can provide.

October, 5, 2012 AT 2:12 PM

Check the fluid level. The filter may be clogged. Otherwise, it has failed internally and needs to be removed and examined.

happy2beamom

October, 5, 2012 AT 2:16 PM

The fluid levels were fine the last time we checked it a few days ago. How do I find out if the filter is clogged?

October, 5, 2012 AT 2:53 PM

P0403 - a fault with the EGR solenoid circuit.

P0700 - an indication of transmisison trouble codes.

P1776 - Solenoid switch vale latched in L-R position.

Possible causes are : Low battery voltage.
Excessive debris in transaxle pan.
Valve body damage.

I would suggest starting with a test on the charging system and battery.

To check for debris in oil pan and clogging of filter, you need to drop the oil pan.

October, 5, 2012 AT 3:30 PM

You will need to drop the pan and inspect the filter.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006