WHERE IS THE LARGE FUSE FOR THE ALTERNATERS ...

1999 Chrysler Concorde

ghartsock11

February, 27, 2013 AT 6:44 PM

Where is the large fuse for the alternaters consistent power located underneith the hiid? I read on here its bolted in and may be the case of my battery not charging.

caradiodoc

February, 27, 2013 AT 7:02 PM

I only have a service manual for a 2000 model, but it should be the same. Follow the smaller red 6 gauge positive battery wire to a dark green 10 gauge piece spliced in. That's the fuse link for the alternator. Tug on it. If it acts like a piece of wire, it's okay. If it acts like a rubber band, it's burned open.

A much easier method is to test for battery voltage at the alternator's output terminal. If you find 12 volts there, the fuse link is good. It's much more common to find worn brushes inside the alternator causing a no-charge condition. Measure the two voltages on the two smaller wires while the engine is running. The dark green / orange will have full battery voltage. The dark green wire should have less but not 0 volts. If you find 0 volts, the brushes must be replaced. You can often do that without removing the alternator from the engine.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide