AUTO REPAIR

• yulibon01
  • 1999 Chrysler Cirrus
  • manual

I have a 1999 chrysler cirrus it starts bat wen it hits up kips on shutting down it will start again bat shuts down every 2 or 3 minutes

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 8:56 PM

• Ernest Clark

Is there a check engine light on? If so, you need to begin by having the computer scanned for codes. Part stores will do this for free. Get back with me with the codes and I"ll help you from there.

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 10:21 PM
  • yulibon01

The engine light is not on and I scan it any way and there are no codes I change ignition coil, crank sensor it wll stay running in park if I put it on drive it wll star to back fire a little and it goes off it wll start again

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 12:25 AM
  • Ernest Clark

Check fuel pressure at idle and when you place the gear shift in drive. (Jack up the front wheels and block the rears) The pressure should be between 39-45 psi at idle and not drop more than 5 psi in gear. If it does, check for a clogged fuel filter first then remeasure. If the same problem, check fuel pressure regulator. You may have a leak. Pull the vacuum hose and check/smell/feel for gas. If there's any, replace it. Also, when remeasuring fuel pressure, pull off the vacuum hose while the engine is running. The pressure should increase. If it doesn't, replace the FPR.

If both the filter and FPR check out good or are replaced, next check the fuel pump.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 1:46 AM
  • yulibon01

I just put a new fuel pump and a fuel filter I well replace the fpr tomorrow and then I wll check back with u

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 2:58 AM
  • Ernest Clark

Let me know and I'll try to help.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 1:54 AM
  • yulibon01

The new fuel pump already has the fuel pressure regulator built in it I believe I that I have a bad cam position sensor is inside the distributor bat is not available in auto part stores they have the hall distributor and is 250 dls I already spend 110 dls on replacing the ignition coil do you know where I can get it I know they sell it separately because I sow a video on you-tube of a guy explaining how to replace it he sad it was 130 dls didn't say where to buy it

Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 5:53 PM
  • Ernest Clark

Yes the pressure regulator is built into the pump. If the pump is new, then so is the regulator. Also, if your cam sensor was bad, the computer would see that and set a code.

Also, when you have a backfire, does it come out the tail pipe or the intake manifold?

Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 11:32 PM
  • yulibon01

I change the distributor and it keeps on shooting off all I can think at this point is a bad pcm what do u think

Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 10:07 PM
  • Ernest Clark

I need to know if your backfire is in the intake or exhaust. Your PCM is the very last thing you should suspect. You have to eliminate all other possibilities first.

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 2:49 AM
  • yulibon01

It doesn't actually back fire it just start shaking like is missing and it turns off if you crank it two or three times it well run for about a block and it well do the same as off right now I put a new crank sensor new distributor new fuel pump new fuel filter something I sow in the fuse box there is a fuse for the down stream exigent sensor and it keeps on blowing it up

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 3:01 AM