THE IS RUNNING EXTREMELY ROUGH,SOMETHING KEEPS CAUSING THE SPARK PLUGS TO FOUL OUT INSTANTLY ANY IDEAS?

1999 Chevrolet Truck

Chuck cook

September, 12, 2011 AT 7:24 PM

I had just got done changing the plugs on the truck and it was running great for a couple days, my wife was driving one day and she said the truck smelled hot and just started running real rough and it's been that wAy ever since it's undrivable, can't afford to take it to a shop.

Fouling Out Plugs

Fouling Plug

promechanic

September, 12, 2011 AT 7:30 PM

Start by taking it to an auto parts store and having them check the codes. They will normally do this for free.

passdahotsauce

September, 14, 2011 AT 2:27 PM

I've learned that in the 99 Chevy Trk/Sub 5.7 only the AC Delco Spark plugs work. 5yrs ago I changed my spark plugs 3 times in the same month and it ate those spark plugs up. So I shelled out cash for the $8.99 each AC Delco's and problem was fixed. I still have the same spark plugs in my 99 Sub today. I clean them with a battery post wire terminal cleaner and there as good as new.

Wrenchtech

September, 14, 2011 AT 2:34 PM

"I clean them with a battery post wire terminal cleaner and there as good as new. "

That's the wrong thing to do. It leaves metal tracks for spark to jump over. NEVER take a wire brush to a spark plug. You should never need to anyway if the engine is running correctly.

Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500