BRAKES

1999 Acura EL

winston-ed

April, 1, 2011 AT 9:44 PM

Hi I really hopen you can help me with me problem. I have a 1999 Acura 1.6EL and theres a problem with the brakes. From what I can tell the front brakes aren't fully releasing off the rotors after braking. I can tell because the rims/wheels are really hot after a trip and the car is a manual so it should come to a smooth stop but instead it****** when it stops like something is holding it back. So for i've changed the calipers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and brake booster but the problem is still there. Now the rotors and caliper have rust (or what looks like rust) on the surface. I'm thinking it could be the brake line/hose. Your help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

April, 1, 2011 AT 10:09 PM

Ensure you have sufficient freeplay between the brake pedal and booster push rod. If the push rod does not have sufficient freeplay, it is going to seize the brakes after driving.

Have the front flexible hoses checked, they can be damaged internally preventing fluids to return and causing the brakes to seize when fluids heats up creating peressure.

Is vehicle equipped with ABS system?

winston-ed

April, 1, 2011 AT 10:17 PM

Yes it has ABS. What exactly is freeplay

April, 1, 2011 AT 10:46 PM

Freeplay means the must be some movement available before the push rod starts moving when brake pedal is pushed. Get under the dash and lightly move the push rod sideways and ensure no resistance is felt. When pedal is lightly pushed ( 2 or 3 mm movement), push rod starts moving, that should be correct.

If equipped with ABS, the modulator could be the cause of the problem if all else tests correct.

winston-ed

April, 2, 2011 AT 6:41 AM

Alright thanks get these checked out and hopefully it solves the problem. Thanks for your help.

April, 2, 2011 AT 4:57 PM

You'r welcome. Have a nice day.

winston-ed

September, 9, 2011 AT 1:39 AM

So i've changed both front flex hoses and its a little better but I can still feel the car dragging ( just a little). I know the wheel bearings need to change(feels like the driver side), could that cause this to happen.

September, 9, 2011 AT 12:35 PM

Unless the wheel bearings are worn badly or the CV shaft central nut is not correctly torqued and has worked itself loose resulting in side play of the wheel hub, it should not cause the brakes to drag.

Jack up vehicle and use your hands to turn the wheels, if the wheels are hard to turn, the brakes are still providing excessive drag. You would need to recheck the caliper pistons and slider bolts.

With hands holding the upper and lower part ( 12 and 6 o'clock) of the wheel, gently rock the wheel in and out and note if there are any movement, if yes, there is excessive side play.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear