PROBLEMS WITH LOCK AND ELECTRIC WINDOW - VW

1998 Volkswagen Polo

clifford1980

May, 19, 2012 AT 11:06 AM

I have a 1998 VW Polo 1.4L. Recently I have been unable to lock or unlock the door on the drivers side, and the back door/boot has also jammed shut. I can unlock and lock the car on the passenger side. Just very annoying having to do this each time I get in and out of the car!
Furthermore - I have a problem with the electric window on the driver side - It goes down fine, but once it is more than half way open, it won't go back up again. I have managed to edge it up to the top gradually by turning the ignition off then on again, then the window will go up a an inch or so at a time before having to repeat the process.

I'm not sure if the 2 problems are linked. Someone has advised me that the lock and window may just need some oil, but thought it may be a problem with the electrics.

Can anyone advise?

May, 19, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

The motor in the door is bad. Replace it with a new one.

The lock, you need to pull the panel and look to make sure the linkage is moving when you try to lock and unlock it.

exovcds

May, 20, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

When you turn the key in the driver door. Does it feel loose?

If yes, then you need a lock cylinder kit (the rod at the end of the
cylinder is broken and no longer turning the actualto).

Reply back and I will post pictures & removal steps.

Thomas

clifford1980

May, 21, 2012 AT 3:00 PM

Thanks for your replies.

The key is slightly loose in the door. I can turn about 45 degree in each direction but it won't turn any further to unlock the door.

Pictures & removal steps would be good thanks

llopes66

September, 23, 2014 AT 3:02 PM

Dear Thomas,
I'm having the same problem. Would it be possible for you send me the step to fix it, please.
My email is llopes66@gmail. Com
Kind regards,
Luciano Lopes

Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon