WILL 2" SMALLER IN DIA TIRES CAUSE AUTOMATIC TRANS TO SHIFT AT WRONG RPM.

1998 Subaru Outback

s,clay

May, 13, 2012 AT 6:07 PM

I just got this car at auction and it has some shifting issues. First thing I noticed is it has some 205 55 r16 and it came with a 205 70 r15. I changed the trans fluild and removed the pan for inspection and all looked good, but still has the shifting issue. I some times down shifts from 2nd to 1st when coasting down my driveway. Also when I take off it seems to rev high before going to third sometimes it goes from 2nd to 4th and then to 3rd.

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

May, 13, 2012 AT 6:18 PM

Roll speed is critical to all operations including trans.

As far as late shifting from tires, it will effect it a little but not a lot. You may have throttle valve issues in the valve body. Get it checked at a trans shop to verify.

s,clay

May, 13, 2012 AT 10:44 PM

I don't trust any trans shop around here. So what can I do myself without removing the trans? Can I check the line pressure? Or replace the valve body or pressure regulator? I have no lights on the dash. Does that eliminate anything? What about reseting the ECM. Can that be done without going to the dealer?

May, 14, 2012 AT 12:21 AM

You need pressure gauges, and the specs that need to be set. I will see if I can get them for you. If you never did this, I highly doubt you are going to be able to do this but we will try

s,clay

May, 14, 2012 AT 2:32 AM

Ok maybe your right. I think I can find someone I can trust to give me the diagnosis. But are there any parts that can be replaced by just removing the pan that might fix the problem?

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars