QUESTION

1998 Saturn SC2

ClintCowser

Hello, My daughter has a 1998 Saturn SC2. I have done the basic maintenance on the vehicle and when I changed the spark plugs, I noticed some oil on the plug wires and also the plug itself. If you're facing the Motor this was on the far left plug. What do I need to do inorder to fix this and is this something I can fix myself? Thanks for the help

saturntech9

Yes you can fix it yourself pretty easy. What you have to do is remove the valve cover replace the valve cover gasket. But before you put the valve cover back on you must put a bead of silicone along where the front cover meet's the head the short straight surface on the side facing you and the side facing the firewall. If you don't it will leak oil pretty bad.

saturntech9

I posted a diagram of where you put the silicone.

ClintCowser

Thanks for the answer and help on this. Now will this also apply if oil is on the firing side of the plug or are we getting into a different issue? Also, when you first crank up the car one of the belts squeek for about 30 seconds and after giving it some gas the squeek goes away and doesn't happen anymore. Any guidance on that? I'm thinking its a belt issue. Thanks again for the assistance

saturntech9

As far as the oil on the combustion side of the plug are you sure it's not from the oil leaking into the plug well then leaking into the plug hole when removing the plug?No for your squealing when first starting up that sound's like a weak belt tensioner. You can try replacing the belt first but more then likely you will be changing the belt tensioner next.

ClintCowser

As far as the oil, it could of possibly been the oil leaking down when I took the plug out, so I'll do what you recommended first and go from there. Never thought of the belt tensioner, I will also replace that. The car actually runs really good with good MPG, just some minor work. Thanks again for the support

saturntech9

Hey are you burning any oil?If so how much in a 3,000 mile period?

ClintCowser

In a 3,000 mile period I would say less than a quart.

saturntech9

That's good so I wouldn't worry about that oil it had in the combustion camber it had to be some oil that went in when you pulled the plug's. Glad I could help you out let me know if you have any other question's.

ClintCowser

Thanks again, one more thing, is there anyway you can send me a diagram of the belt tensioner like you did for the valve cover? Thanks

saturntech9

There you go.

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20