PARKING BRAKE HAS TOO MUCH PLAY

1998 Saturn SC2

aderosier

February, 9, 2011 AT 9:52 PM

My parking brake handle on my 98 saturn sc2 is at full travel but not very effective. Adjustment nut is as tight as it will go. Is there another adjustment that needs to be done. Checked the rear brake pads, plenty of life left on them.

saturntech9

February, 9, 2011 AT 10:02 PM

So you rear brake's are shoes or disc brake pad's?

aderosier

February, 9, 2011 AT 10:06 PM

My saturn is 4 wheel disc brakes

saturntech9

February, 9, 2011 AT 10:39 PM

On the rear disc caliper's the piston's screw out to hold the ebrake adjustment on them. So your only adjustment is the 10mm nut at the ebrake arm. Are you sure the cable is moving the ebrake arm's on the rear caliper's?The arms freeze up on the rear caliper's in the salt and snow climate's pretty common. Let me know what you find.

aderosier

February, 9, 2011 AT 11:29 PM

I will check them out, I'm guessing if they are sticking just a wrench and some lube should solve that problem, however I'm wondering if they are sticking, wouldn't the handle be hard to move at all instead of having full travel with no effectiveness?

saturntech9

February, 9, 2011 AT 11:43 PM

I have seen them stick and the handle still work's the cable's stretch if there frozen good luck freeing them up I have never had any luck freeing them up. Also make sure the cable is working and broken. Let me know what you find.

aderosier

February, 10, 2011 AT 12:32 AM

Ok, I will check it all out. Sounds like I might need to consider changing out the whole cable, sounds like it did stretch. Thanks for your advice, will advise how it goes.

saturntech9

February, 10, 2011 AT 2:25 AM

Let me know what you find I would make sure it's the cable before changing it. It's a little bit of work to change it you have to remove the center console bottom cushion of the back seat and pull up some of the carpeting to change it.

Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford