I HAVE A POCKET COMPUTER SCANNER WHICH READ ...

1998 Saturn

mmshields2006

December, 4, 2012 AT 11:58 PM

I have a pocket computer scanner, which read replace the idol sensior, !St one was bad and had to replace with another. The received the code the throttle body sensor was bad, went through one, returned it, and put another new one on. Have checked for all kinds of vaccume leaks. Nothing found, Now the car will only idol at 1100 rpms and should read only 600 and 700 rpms what do I do next. Now car is running rich and sometimes almost want to stall? Can someone please help me. Thank You Very much. Margaret

saturntech9

December, 5, 2012 AT 12:05 AM

The codes dont say to replace things they give you a number and there is a trouble to follow to find the problem. Your fishing with dynamite they way your going. Is there any current codes?ALso what model do you have?

mmshields2006

December, 5, 2012 AT 1:20 PM

Sorry its a 1998 Saturn, SL1, 1.9 ltr engine, 5 speed, hope this helps. A mechanic back during the summer did tell me that I was going to have to replace the idle sensor soon. So far no change since changing throttle body sensor. Not receiving any codes and have tried several times. Thank you Margaret

saturntech9

December, 5, 2012 AT 3:53 PM

So you replaced the throttle position sensor?Never heard of a idol sensor whats that?Also what was the code you were setting before?So when you you start it sometimes it sounds flooded and smokes when. It starts?Those cars have a high failure rate on the coolant temp sensors and that will case the engine to be rich. Also the terminals to the sensor get corroded if the terminals inside the connector are blue or green instead of silver you will need to replace the connector also.

mmshields2006

December, 6, 2012 AT 12:30 PM

I believe it's called an idler air control sensor, also have already cleaned the posts on the battery have a good connection.

saturntech9

December, 6, 2012 AT 5:10 PM

No its called a idle air control valve not sensor if its running rich at start up I would be looking at your coolant temp sensor they have a high failure rate I have replaced four since owning my 1999 saturn for 6.5 yrs. Does your code reader view live engine data?

mmshields2006

December, 6, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

No code showed for Engine coolant temp sensor, but went ahead and purchase one today. When pulling the old one off, noticed a long crack on either sides of it. Thank you so much, I believe this was a big part of the major problem! Also was able to purchase one with a brass tip, instead of ceramric which cracked on each side. Now my rpm's are at about 700 to 800, still acts like it wants to stall, but I believe things are coming along, thank you so much for your help. There's absolutely no help here in Tallahassee Florida for this, I appreciate all your input. Is there anything else I should try?
Thank you,

Sincerely,
Margaret Shields

saturntech9

December, 7, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

Thats common for the sensors with plastic tips to. Crack did you look at the inside of the connector to see if the terminals were corroded like I asked you to do?Also see if the short hose that runs from the intake manifold to the pcv is colasped or has a hole in it?

mmshields2006

December, 7, 2012 AT 12:55 PM

Yes it was a greenish color, I Still need to check
the short hose that runs from the intake manifold to the
pcv. Thank you again

saturntech9

December, 7, 2012 AT 5:14 PM

If it was greenish in color you need to replace that connector because coolant has leaked into it and corroded the terminals.

mmshields2006

December, 9, 2012 AT 3:57 PM

Will check if Auto Zone has one, thank you so much again, seems like after replacing
the engine coolant temp sensor, it took about 1 day and now my car is running
very well again. RPM seems good. No stalling, no rich smells anymore. Bless you for
your help.
Margaret

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Corolla
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma