I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT'S CAUSING A MAJOR OIL LEAK I JUST REPLACE THE REAR MAIN SEAL AND IT'S STILL LEAKING?

1998 Saturn Astra

Cwebb

November, 12, 2011 AT 8:21 PM

It's leaking oil around my transfercase well pouring. I've had some say it could be my throw out bearing bad causing it to leak I'm not reslly sure and would like to know my possible causes

Cwebb

November, 12, 2011 AT 8:21 PM

It's a SL1

saturntech9

November, 12, 2011 AT 10:22 PM

So is it leaking oil or transmission fluid?Because there should be transmission fluid in your manual transmission.

Cwebb

November, 13, 2011 AT 11:15 AM

It's leaking motor oil. I can take a pry bar and push in on my crank shaft pully it will move in about 1/4 inch while holding that in, the leak slows down to a bear minimum but once I take pressure off the crank it starts pouring oil agin

saturntech9

November, 13, 2011 AT 4:40 PM

So its coming from the rear main area correct?A 1/4" crank play isnt too bad. What did you use to install the rear main seal?

Cwebb

November, 13, 2011 AT 7:57 PM

Yes an I had a local mechanic replace my rear main and clutch but come to find out guys that work for them are half assers like most if there was something's else going on in that area ud think they shoulda noticed

saturntech9

November, 13, 2011 AT 9:14 PM

They probably didnt use the correct tool to install the rear main thats why its leaking.

Cwebb

November, 13, 2011 AT 9:43 PM

Ok but I'm still lost why dose the leak stop when I pry in on my crankshaft pully seems to me if the seal was bad it would still leak not stop

saturntech9

November, 13, 2011 AT 9:48 PM

If the seal wasnt in the correct depth into the rear main carrier that would explain it.

Cwebb

November, 13, 2011 AT 10:09 PM

I would also like to kno if my throw out bearing or release bearing would have anything to do with taken some of that slack up or possibly stoping my leak?

saturntech9

November, 13, 2011 AT 11:00 PM

The throw out bearing has nothing to do with the play in the crank or the leak. The play would be the play in the crankshaft main bearings.I have seen crankshafts with more end play then yours and the rear main wasnt leaking. There is something most likely wrong with rear main seal. What did the shop say about the oil still leaking.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz