FUEL EMISSION FAILURE AND INJECTORS

1998 Rover 2 Series

coralie

May, 5, 2012 AT 9:45 AM

Have a rover 214 now failed mot 9 times on emissions despite changing lambda sensor 4 times ( very costly) entire exhaust system and catalitic converter. Now the garage are taking it apart again to now look at the fuel injectors but CANT GUARANTEE this will fix the problem. This is gonna cost another 500 pounds at least! Can someone tell me whether after changing everything that has been changed that this will work? I am assuming they are going to clean the injectors? The engine blew up and I had a new sump put in and the head skimmed with a new upgraded gasket kit put in. Since then it has had all these mot failures and problems with the gasses that are more than 3 times what they should be even with all the new parts. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT IT COULD POSSIBLY BE? Am I stupid in thinking that this is a car. Something mechanical. And everything can be fixed? Tell me that this can be fixed! And if there is anything else that can be looked at while the engine is yet again being dismantled! Help

hmac300

May, 5, 2012 AT 1:32 PM

Scan for codes first to see what they are. Make sure your air filter and fuel filter are clean as well. Check your fuel pressure. You could very possibly have a evap problem causing the fail and are fixing the wrong parts. You have to start someplace and this is the first thing you do instead of just blindly chanign parts. You need to know what codes are being thrown. Also check for vacuum leaks and clean throttle body with choke cleaner as well as making sure all air ducts going to tb are good condition and not have holes in them.

Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast