MY FIREBIRD WONT PASS SMOG BECAUSE OF RANDOM ...

1998 Pontiac Firebird

deb57

March, 5, 2013 AT 3:37 PM

Hi, my Firebird won't pass smog because of random misfire. Calif. Has a program(CAPS) to help with up to $500. In emission related repairs or retire car for up to $1,500. But you have to pick which one before you send app in. Smog guy won't say what may be causing the problem so I don't know if I should repair or retire it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

hmac300

March, 5, 2013 AT 4:00 PM

Scan for codes and check fuelpressure first probably fuel pressure is low causing it if fp is ok then check compression and igintiion

deb57

March, 5, 2013 AT 7:34 PM

I scanned for codes & it was random misfire.I don't have the testing tool I need plus registration was due with smog test. This is the first time I've had to deal with this smog stuff & first FI car.

hmac300

March, 5, 2013 AT 7:57 PM

You'll need to rent the gauges form an autoparts store as low pressure will cause random misfire. Also lyou'll need to ask at auto parts as you didn't give enging size.

deb57

March, 8, 2013 AT 8:37 AM

It has a 3800 v6.I'll let you know what I find out & Thanks for your help !

Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast