FUEL PUMP

1998 Pontiac Firebird

Bigfish88

July, 9, 2012 AT 10:01 PM

I replaced the fuel pump on my sons 98 Firebird. It started up several times ran good. The next day it won start. I noticed some wires on the sending unit had the covering cracked an exposed so I ordered the entire fuel pump assembly. It started up several times ran good, THE NEXT MORNING IT WONT START AGAIN. PLEASE HELP THIS IS SO VERY FRUSTRATING!

July, 9, 2012 AT 10:07 PM

Verify the fuel pressure is within specs with a use of a fuel pressure tester-Start here -let me know

Bigfish88

July, 9, 2012 AT 10:19 PM

But I have no fuel pressure now. I dont want to spend another $150 bucks on another pump and have it fail again.

July, 9, 2012 AT 10:32 PM

Do you hear the fuel pump for a few secs when you turn the ignition On?

Bigfish88

July, 9, 2012 AT 10:57 PM

I did when I first installed both the pumps. After it sat over night there is nothing.I diconnected the fuel filter and turned it over and nothing.

July, 9, 2012 AT 11:32 PM

Power the fuel pump direct from the battery and see if it comes on and produce the correct fuel pressure if so check/test the fuel pump relay and oil pressure sending unit-

Bigfish88

July, 9, 2012 AT 11:36 PM

It works when I 1st install though then when it sits I get nothing. It is getting power to the pump. For some reason pump keeps burning up after it sits for awhile.

July, 9, 2012 AT 11:49 PM

If the fuel pump is getting power there's should be pressure available

If its burning up as it sits, wiring issue causing it-I recommend have it fur therchecked by a professional

Bigfish88

July, 9, 2012 AT 11:54 PM

Thanks. The car sat for about 2 years. I just cant understand y I put a new pump in and it starts and runs fine and then I let it sit over night and I have nothing. Very frustrating I have spent $400 now.

July, 10, 2012 AT 9:25 PM

Check/Test the fuel pump relay and the computer controlled of the fuel pump relay circuit-

djcl

July, 10, 2012 AT 11:23 PM

How old is the gas in the tank? And ate we shore of the quality of the fuel. Make shore there is fresh clean gas in the car. Not old fuel or something els gumming up the pump

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe