1998 FIREBIRD FUEL PUMP

• Bigfish88
  • 1998 Pontiac Firebird

I replaced the fuel pump on my sons 98 Firebird. It started up several times ran good. The next day it won start. I noticed some wires on the sending unit had the covering cracked an exposed so I ordered the entire fuel pump assembly. It started up several times ran good, THE NEXT MORNING IT WONT START AGAIN. PLEASE HELP THIS IS SO VERY FRUSTRATING!

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 10:01 PM

• rasmataz

Verify the fuel pressure is within specs with a use of a fuel pressure tester-Start here -let me know

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM
  • Bigfish88

But I have no fuel pressure now. I dont want to spend another $150 bucks on another pump and have it fail again.

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 10:19 PM
  • rasmataz

Do you hear the fuel pump for a few secs when you turn the ignition On?

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 10:32 PM
  • Bigfish88

I did when I first installed both the pumps. After it sat over night there is nothing.I diconnected the fuel filter and turned it over and nothing.

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 10:57 PM
  • rasmataz

Power the fuel pump direct from the battery and see if it comes on and produce the correct fuel pressure if so check/test the fuel pump relay and oil pressure sending unit-

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 11:32 PM
  • Bigfish88

It works when I 1st install though then when it sits I get nothing. It is getting power to the pump. For some reason pump keeps burning up after it sits for awhile.

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 11:36 PM
  • rasmataz

If the fuel pump is getting power there's should be pressure available

If its burning up as it sits, wiring issue causing it-I recommend have it fur therchecked by a professional

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 11:49 PM
  • Bigfish88

Thanks. The car sat for about 2 years. I just cant understand y I put a new pump in and it starts and runs fine and then I let it sit over night and I have nothing. Very frustrating I have spent $400 now.

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 11:54 PM
  • rasmataz

Check/Test the fuel pump relay and the computer controlled of the fuel pump relay circuit-

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 9:25 PM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

How old is the gas in the tank? And ate we shore of the quality of the fuel. Make shore there is fresh clean gas in the car. Not old fuel or something els gumming up the pump

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 11:23 PM