LOW GAS MILEAGE 98 .

1998 Mercury Tracer

victorock

November, 18, 2010 AT 9:47 PM

I have a Mercury Tracer 98 that I recently bought with 145k on it. It drives awesome, occasionally the instrument lights inside on the meters goes off and comes back again in a half an hour or so. But what I am really concerened is that the gas mileage on it is around 17.3 per gallon. I have verified this number thrice. It has a service sticker on that which says "next service due at 148 K. Do you know why instead of a regular 25mpg it is giving me 17 in city?
I would appreciate. Thanks!

mhpautos

November, 19, 2010 AT 1:19 PM

Have you done a tune, and checked for a engine management fault with a scan as yet?

November, 19, 2010 AT 1:27 PM

There are many possible reasonss for high fuel consumption.

1. Driving condition and habit. If vehicle is mostly driven in city traffic, fuel consumption would be higher. So would be a brisk driver who is heavy on the gas pedal.

2. Engine.
A). Mechanical. Any fault with engine mechanical would cause losses in engine performance and higher fuel consumption.
B). Tune-up. Some high fuel consumption problems can be rectified with a tune-up.
C). Transmission fault. If trans is slipping, it would be so.

As to the meter lights coming on and off, it couls be a loose connection somewhere.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Open Hood Video