LOCATION IGNITION CONTROL MODULARICM FOUND POWER...

1998 Mercury Mystique

yankeecatter

February, 22, 2013 AT 4:20 PM

Location Ignition Control Modular(ICM), found Power Control Modular(PCM), but have not found ICM!NO fire from Coil Pack, so replaced with NEW. Still no spark/fire from coils, but power at connector on one wire. Please tell me where this ICM is located. Ron

saturntech9

February, 22, 2013 AT 8:37 PM

See if you have a flashing ground to the other wire going to the coil while cranking?

yankeecatter

February, 24, 2013 AT 6:51 PM

How does that tell me where Ignition Control Modular is located?Thanks for your reply.

saturntech9

February, 24, 2013 AT 7:30 PM

I was just trying to get more info which engine do you have 2.0 or 2.5L?

yankeecatter

February, 25, 2013 AT 4:10 PM

I'm sorry, it's a 2.5L-thanks again

saturntech9

February, 25, 2013 AT 8:29 PM

I can't find the location of it anywhere in my online repair info possibly the intake manifold back of the engine area?I see them for sale for that car I am going to ask another moderator. Also any codes?Have you checked the crankshaft position sensor yet?

yankeecatter

February, 25, 2013 AT 9:51 PM

Thanks for your dedicated effort.I also have tried repair info on line(autozone/alldata)a couple forums/blogs and this website.I've purchased coil pack-put on & still no fire to spark plug, so I checked ICM price & shutterred when they said $250.00 new, but purchased anyway. Proceeded to look for Said ICM, have windshield wiper covers off, inner fenderwels both off, battery & powerbox out or moveable. Jacked up 1 1/2 foot off floor, both front tires off etc, etc. Then I've started under rightside interior panels, power control modular taken out and I'm headed for the headlights and front grille, next. Did I mention it's a Canadian production model?
Enjoy the evening, I'm going to!

saturntech9

February, 26, 2013 AT 3:35 AM

Have you checked the crank shaft position sensor?I would check that it will cause no spark and you can check it with a multi meter to test it. The other moderator I asked couldn't find it ethier and thought it was inter grated into the pcm.

yankeecatter

February, 26, 2013 AT 4:14 PM

I hope & pray you & your friend are right.I'll still pull headlites just for the sake of it.I'll purchase a sensor for $14.00 about, and return ICM which will be like Xmas all over.($200.- $14.00 = $186.00 gift. LOL
What can I do for U?Already said a couple prayers for U and yours.
Thanks! Ron

saturntech9

February, 26, 2013 AT 8:35 PM

Thank you for the prayers measure the resistance of the old crank sensor?

yankeecatter

February, 27, 2013 AT 3:28 PM

What should resistance be?And is that measured at sensor pins(looks like 2 pins, without taking off connect). Thanks in advance for your help. Ronnie

Ignition Coil Replacement Ford Taurus
Ignition System Test Guide
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars