MY CAR KEEPS STALLING WHEN I AM COMING TO A STOP

1998 Mercedes Benz A140

Anonymous

October, 25, 2012 AT 1:22 PM

My car keeps stalling when I am coming to a stop. It does sometimes do the same thing when I am just idling it seems to drop below 500 revs and then stall. I ahave checked for air leaks have changed the throttle position sensor there hve been suggestions that the head gasket has gone but there are no signs of discolouration in the radiator fluid, I am not using excess oil and the car does not smoke. Please any suggestions would be most helpful.

Wrenchtech

October, 25, 2012 AT 1:25 PM

First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

TPS Sensor Step by Step Replacement Guide