How to tell if timing is correct?

NICHOLASMAR
  • 1998 HONDA PRELUDE
I have a 1998 Honda Prelude Type SH and I recently had my timing belt replaced. I had to take it back 2 or 3 times to fix oil leaks. After getting the last time my car was stalling at idle. I took it back and the mechanic didn't experience a stall at idle but did notice the rpm's dipped low at idle so he turn the idle screw and all seemed well (though I never thought turning the idle screw was a good idea). Then my check engine light starts coming on once in a while at idle (not very often, every couple of months). The code is for engine misfires cylinder 4, 2 and random. Then I barely pass smog due to high hydrocarbons (I was like 8ppm away from failing). Also, since I got my car back I noticed a whining noise, but I just assumed it was because the timing belt was new and needed to be broken in, but it is still making the whining noise a year later. So my mechanic doesn't seem to think anything is related to the work his shop did (he won't even check it out). So I am wondering how can I tell if my timing is correct or if it is off a tooth or two? Can I tell by just taking off the valve cover because I was thinking of doing a valve adjustment anyway? (By the way I also had a new clutch put in at the same time as the timing belt if that makes any difference).
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 9:17 PM

You must remove the timing cover to check the marks here is a guide to help you find out for sure.

https://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/honda/prelude/1998

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 1:33 AM