I HAVE A 1998 GMC SEIERRA AND WAS DRIVING DOWN ...

1998 GMC Sierra

joshuaasr79

I have a 1998 GMC seierra and was driving down the road the other day when the truck just shut off for no reason. It didn't backfire or pop that I recall. It turns over hard. Someone suggested that it sounds like it may have jumped timing. What possibiltie should I look at?

Make sure the battery has a full charge. Battery connections all clean and tight. Charging system ok? Use a digital multimeter across battery posts. Have helper turn key to crank. How far does the voltage drop? Generic spec says it shouldn't drop below 9.5 volts. If it drops further, get the battery charged or replaced.

joshuaasr79

The battery gauge says it has about 12-13 volts. Even with a 14 volt set of jumper cable from a big tow truck. It has a timing type of miss sound when rolling over. It was a new motor when I bought it from the dealership one year ago. It ran excellent all that day until it died in the middle of the road. Could the distributor cap maybe have cracked or modular have burned up or timing chain or cam jumped? I wanna make sure that I can check these things inexpensively just in case I'm wrong.

Did they warranty the new engine? If this is a new engine, you shouldn't be having mechanical issues. If the engine is under warranty, I wouldn't touch it, take it back to dealership.

joshuaasr79

It was sold as is vehicle. The owner before the dealership put the motor in. I've got too much money wrapped up in it.

You can pull the spark plugs, crank it, see if cranking speed is different?

You could do cylinder compression test, when the plugs are out.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230