MY FLYWHEEL IS TURNING VERY EASY BY HAND

• lovehim1
  • 1998 Ford Ranger

Truck was making a noise sounded like it came from the back of the engine. Then the truck sounded like it had a bad starter. I pulled off the starter and my flywheel can be turned with my hand. What could be the problem?

Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 AT 3:34 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Is the flywheel still attached?

Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 AT 3:54 AM
  • lovehim1

Yes and it's not rocking at all but I still can turn it with my hand.

Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 AT 4:01 AM
  • mhpautos

Does the engine still turn over on the starter motor? Maybe you have broken a crank shaft, if the flywheel turns freely, try turning the engine from the front pulley and see if the flywheel turns.

Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 AT 4:48 AM
  • lovehim1

Yes the engine still turns from the front pulleys

Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 AT 2:30 PM
  • lovehim1

I want to send a donation but was really testing this web site and I have not received an answer concerning my ford rangers last question.

Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 12:01 PM
  • mhpautos

You have not answered my last question, if you turn the engine by hand at the front pulley does the fly wheel turn? Now, you say flywheel. So it is a manual. Otherwise it will be a drive plate with a torque converter attached, so with that said, are you looking at a torque converter spinning independently of the drive plate or a flywheel spinning free of the crank shaft, we rely on your eyes to see what is going on, so accuracy is important.

Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 2:01 PM
  • lovehim1

I have a automatic transmission with 4 wheel drive. I took the starter loose and turned the drive plate and it was able to turn not easily but it turns by hand and the engine does turn. I could feel the converter turn also. When I had the starter in and tried to start it it sounded like a bad starter. But there was a banging noise first and then the truck just stopped.

Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 8:58 PM
  • mhpautos

Have the starter tested, check that the teeth on the drive plate are not damaged in any way, next is a bit tricky, set a pencil up so it is just touching the drive plate through the starter access, turn the engine and watch if there is any major deflection on the drive plate, use the pencil as a pointer or a scribe line if you can get a good section that will scribe up as you turn the engine.

Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 9:28 PM
  • lovehim1

Starter was good. I turned the crank and it turned for about 4 inches then the drive plate would not turn anymore even when I was able to continually turn the crank.

Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 7:39 PM
  • mhpautos

I would say possibly a cracked drive plate or loose bolts for the drive plate or torque converter, time to pull the box I feel.

Sunday, December 25th, 2011 AT 1:00 AM