ROUGH IDLE COUPLED WITH ACCELERATION ISSUES

1998 Ford Mustang

MustangLove

July, 16, 2012 AT 5:56 PM

I've had some issues with this car. Back in May I had the intake manifold gasket, the waterpump, and the thermostat replaced after the coolant in my radiator corroded just about everything. I got that taken care of then noticed my car was still idling wierdly (when I started the car while it was still warm it would rev then decrease to almost stalling out). The wierd idling is a little more mellow these days, but I've started seeing a new symptom as of very recently: I can take my foot off the gas and my car will still slowly, but surely accelerate of its own accord. I have to ride my break and when its like that, it revs at around 1500rpms. This is terrifying! I was told replacing the fuel pump would help that and that the O2 sensor would fix the idling, I'm about to go get those done, but I have a gut feeling there is more to this. Can someone please tell me if the o2 and fuel filter would save my baby or is there more work that I should have done?

Docfixit

July, 16, 2012 AT 6:00 PM

Suspect problem with Idle Speed Controler chekc engoine light on? Any codes?

MustangLove

July, 18, 2012 AT 12:36 PM

Yeah, when I took it to the shop, they ran a diagonistics scan and found that the o2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1 was running lean.

Docfixit

July, 19, 2012 AT 7:42 PM

Usually that is an exhaust leak in front of 02's

MustangLove

July, 20, 2012 AT 12:57 PM

I've had this gut feeling that it was some kind of air/exhaust leak, but I'm no professional and didn't no for sure. What would be the best way to determine if that really is whats going on?

Docfixit

July, 20, 2012 AT 3:18 PM

Dis connect ISC what effect on idle? Inspect exhaust for leak maybe audible

Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230