TEMPERATURE GAUGE ONLY RISES WHEN I DRIVE

• chrshuckaby
  • 1998 Ford F-150

Can you tell me what would make the temp. Gauge rise when I hit the gas but fall when I let off. I have a ford f150 w/ v6 4.2 I can let it idle for ever and it wont run hot. If I drive it once I get over 35 mph the gauge starts going up but when I let off the gas it goes back down.

Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 3:20 PM

• hmac300

Cold be a bad sender or a bad ground. Make sure the coolant level I s full as well.

Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 3:32 PM
  • chrshuckaby

If the sensor is bad, could I just be getting a wrong reading or is the engine really running hot. It never does steam up or boil.

Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 4:00 PM
  • hmac300

I thinkit would be a wrong reading. Some of these sensors if you have the worn gmix of antifreeze screw up their readings. I doubt the engien is running hot, if it was it would be low on power and other indications. The only thing I can think of other than that would be a water pump impeller is slipping on the shaft whe speeding up. You can always manually check your temp while running at idle as well.

Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 4:03 PM