TEMPERATURE GAUGE ONLY RISES WHEN I DRIVE

1998 Ford F-150

chrshuckaby

November, 28, 2011 AT 3:20 PM

Can you tell me what would make the temp. Gauge rise when I hit the gas but fall when I let off. I have a ford f150 w/ v6 4.2 I can let it idle for ever and it wont run hot. If I drive it once I get over 35 mph the gauge starts going up but when I let off the gas it goes back down.

Temp Gauge

hmac300

November, 28, 2011 AT 3:32 PM

Cold be a bad sender or a bad ground. Make sure the coolant level I s full as well.

chrshuckaby

November, 28, 2011 AT 4:00 PM

If the sensor is bad, could I just be getting a wrong reading or is the engine really running hot. It never does steam up or boil.

hmac300

November, 28, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

I thinkit would be a wrong reading. Some of these sensors if you have the worn gmix of antifreeze screw up their readings. I doubt the engien is running hot, if it was it would be low on power and other indications. The only thing I can think of other than that would be a water pump impeller is slipping on the shaft whe speeding up. You can always manually check your temp while running at idle as well.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer