IDLE PROBLEM

• Coasty
  • 1998 Ford Explorer

I have the 4.0L OHV, it won't idle when its very hot, usually upper 80's or above, if I gas it to keep the idle higher it will stay running, but if I let off the gas it will die. This has been happening for two years, and always corrects itself when the outside air temperature decreases. I've replaced wires/plugs, and cleaned both the throttle body and IAC Valve.

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 4:14 PM

• Docfixit

Check engine light on?

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 4:18 PM
  • Coasty

Just as I hit enter I realized I forgot to say. No, absolutely no trouble codes.

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 4:24 PM
  • Docfixit

O.K. Lets do a few tests note FORDS VERY common problem IAC
Will it idle when engine cold? If yes then start turn on AC and/or turn steering wheel idles speed increase? Unplug IAC idle fall stall?

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 4:37 PM
  • Coasty

No, it will not die when the engine is cold. In fact, the only months it's happened over the last few years are July and August when the temps are in the upper 80's.

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 4:47 PM
  • Docfixit

What is eight character in VIN? IAC is comanded by PCM to maintain idle whatever Temp is and with nothing to go on IAC replacement seems way to go. What ois idle speed whenit idles? Does it responed to AC on and steering?

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 5:14 PM
  • Coasty

8th Character is "X". It normally idles around 800rpm, when its happening it will drop off straight to about 150-200rpm and then die as fast as you let up on the pedal. I'll have to check the AC/Steering test next time its hot enough.

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 8:38 PM
  • Docfixit

Fuel pressure 35-40psi? Have used fuel cleaner or upper engine cleaner? Fuel filter less than 15K miles?

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 8:55 PM
  • Coasty

I just reread your question. Yes it idles fine when it's cold. I thought you asked if it "died" when it's cold, not "idled". I'll check if idle changes with AC and steering movement tomorrow.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 3:52 AM
  • Coasty

When cold: turning on AC/moving steering drops rpms slightly, they do not increase. Unplugging the IAC valve plug drops the rpm to about 150-200rpm, but it didn't die.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 6:13 PM
  • Docfixit

Think IAC is in order

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 9:01 PM