I HAVE A 98 FORD CONTOUR THAT HAD THE TIMING ...

1998 Ford Contour

Anonymous

October, 19, 2012 AT 7:23 PM

I have a 98 ford contour that had the timing belt broken while running. Just had the timing belt replaced at a shop and it will not run right, they said there is prob a bent valve but this is a non-interference motor so that prob not right. Is there anything I can try to get it right? Is it possibly not timed right? It has a bad studder and loss of power especially up hill. To me it feel as if the timing is not right, but I am not a mechanic. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

caradiodoc

October, 19, 2012 AT 7:59 PM

Please list the engine size when asking an engine-related question. The V-6 uses a timing chain so I'm guessing you have the four-cylinder. That is indeed an interference engine and it is highly unlikely the valves weren't damaged. A compression test will prove it and a cylinder leakage test will show which valves are bent.

dsmddn11

October, 20, 2012 AT 3:00 AM

I just had my timing belt break on me twice(in 3 days) last month and it could be that the timing is off or that the tensioner wasn't adjusted right. Most likely the timing though. And you are correct, the engine(zetec) on a four cylinder Ford Contour is non-interference. Get this fixed quickly because you don't want the belt snapping again.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Air Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement