OD-OFF BUTTON DOESN'T WORK

• ArtNJr
  • 1998 DODGE RAM

1998.5 Ram 2500HD Club Cab, ISB Cummins, 4x4, auto. I think I've found enough info to deal with my cruise control, but problem I haven't been able to find anything on the OD-off button not working -- dash light doesn't come on either. The trans shifts into OD as it should & for the time being I'm not carrying heavy loads or pulling a trailer, but I will be & need that OD off function to work.

What's been done recently: new Blue Chip VP-44, top-of-the-line w/new Frieghtliner computer (engine runs better than it ever has); new battery terminal ends, wire-brushed battery posts, both batteries good; checked all fuses, interior panel & underhood both; throttle cable bracket/housing double-check (cable to trans was a too tight -- stayed in gear too long before shifting) & I've gone over all wiring I can get to without taking things apart, nothing I can find wrong there.

- Art Northrup, Jr.
AA, AS, BSME
art_njr@charter. Net

Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 1:56 PM

• ASEMaster6371

The ground for the switch is to the trans control module. Thats what turns it on or off.

Is it going into overdirve or locked out?

+1
Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 2:12 PM
  • ArtNJr

As I mentioned, the trans shifts into OD as it should -- I just can't turn it off with the button @ the end of the shift lever.

+1
Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 2:15 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Can you verify 12 volts to one side of the switch?

Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 2:26 PM
  • ArtNJr

That I have not checked but will. Switch on the left (driver's) side of the transmission I presume? All I checked there was the trans cable & the arm it goes to when it was staying in gear too long before shifting -- that problem's solved.

+1
Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 2:35 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Check up at the button arean of the wheel. We wnat to make sure there is power to the switch, at the switch

+1
Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 2:41 PM
  • ArtNJr

10-4 and thanks. Gotta run a couple errands then I'll get the test meter out & see what I find.

+1
Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 2:44 PM