OD-OFF BUTTON DOESN'T WORK

1998 Dodge Ram

ArtNJr

July, 19, 2012 AT 1:56 PM

1998.5 Ram 2500HD Club Cab, ISB Cummins, 4x4, auto. I think I've found enough info to deal with my cruise control, but problem I haven't been able to find anything on the OD-off button not working -- dash light doesn't come on either. The trans shifts into OD as it should & for the time being I'm not carrying heavy loads or pulling a trailer, but I will be & need that OD off function to work.

What's been done recently: new Blue Chip VP-44, top-of-the-line w/new Frieghtliner computer (engine runs better than it ever has); new battery terminal ends, wire-brushed battery posts, both batteries good; checked all fuses, interior panel & underhood both; throttle cable bracket/housing double-check (cable to trans was a too tight -- stayed in gear too long before shifting) & I've gone over all wiring I can get to without taking things apart, nothing I can find wrong there.

- Art Northrup, Jr.
AA, AS, BSME
art_njr@charter. Net

July, 19, 2012 AT 2:12 PM

The ground for the switch is to the trans control module. Thats what turns it on or off.

Is it going into overdirve or locked out?

ArtNJr

July, 19, 2012 AT 2:15 PM

As I mentioned, the trans shifts into OD as it should -- I just can't turn it off with the button @ the end of the shift lever.

July, 19, 2012 AT 2:26 PM

Can you verify 12 volts to one side of the switch?

ArtNJr

July, 19, 2012 AT 2:35 PM

That I have not checked but will. Switch on the left (driver's) side of the transmission I presume? All I checked there was the trans cable & the arm it goes to when it was staying in gear too long before shifting -- that problem's solved.

July, 19, 2012 AT 2:41 PM

Check up at the button arean of the wheel. We wnat to make sure there is power to the switch, at the switch

ArtNJr

July, 19, 2012 AT 2:44 PM

10-4 and thanks. Gotta run a couple errands then I'll get the test meter out & see what I find.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011