I AM DOING A VACUUM TEST THERE WAS VACUUM WHEN ...

1998 Dodge Neon

moserme

March, 24, 2012 AT 11:25 PM

I am doing a vacuum test, there was vacuum when the car was idling and they said that there should not be but didn't say what the problem would be?

Wiring Issue?

saturntech9

March, 24, 2012 AT 11:33 PM

Your details above were cut off could you please explain them again?

moserme

March, 24, 2012 AT 11:43 PM

Testing the throttle body, I put a vacuum gauge on it and started the car. The book says 'Verify the gauge indicates no vacuum'. There was vacuum. It does not tell me what to do when this happens. What do you think is the problem when there is vacuum?

saturntech9

March, 24, 2012 AT 11:48 PM

So did you hook the vacuum gauge to one of the vacuum ports below the throttle plate?If so there will be vacuum there with the engine running. What problem are you trying to diagnose?

moserme

March, 25, 2012 AT 12:44 AM

I put the gauge where the hose hook up for the purge control solenoid is attached. My motor turns over alot before it starts up. It is worse now that the weather is getting warmer. I have replaced my coolant temperature. Not the problem. I turn the key to the on position for five seconds then try to start and it starts better, sometimes. Any ideas?

saturntech9

March, 25, 2012 AT 4:28 PM

The purge solenoid is supposed to have vacuum to it thats normal. From what you said about the waiting 5 seconds to start it and it starts better I would check the fuel pressure to see if its bleeding down. Also do you have any codes in the computer?

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler