TRANSMISSION IS MAKING SOME WHINING SOUNDS THEN WON'T MOVE

1998 Chrysler Sebring

GhosRiter

November, 12, 2011 AT 10:08 PM

When I start my 1998 Chrysler sebring convertible it makes a whinny winding sound. Once the sound stops I cant go forward or reverse? Checked all trans fluid levels and made sure they are correct. If I turn car on I cant get the gears to shift when the sound can be heard but when the sound stops so does the car it goes idle no matter what gear it is in. Any suggestions. Called Chrysler dealership and they said trans is gone and would cost 3000 to repair / called trans specialist and they said same thing and would charge 1500 in repair. I dont have that kind of money and was hoping that it would be something simple I can try to fix the issue. Boought car from an auction and only drove it home and issue started happening. Car was also getting hot while driving home. Can you help with that too? Engine coolant was bubbling and smoking and check engine light came on. I did drive the car around before buying it and none of these things happened until I paid for it and drove it off the lot. Is there something wrong with my engine

November, 13, 2011 AT 12:49 AM

Where is this whinny noise coming from? Is it locked in park and won't come out to other gears-

GhosRiter

November, 13, 2011 AT 7:57 PM

It's coming from the front drivers side under the hood. I started it last might and the same thing happened it moved while u can hear the sound but when the sound stops so does the car. When I look under the hood I can see exactly where it's coming from

GhosRiter

November, 13, 2011 AT 7:59 PM

It's coming from the front drivers side under the hood. When I look I can't see exactly where its coming from

November, 13, 2011 AT 8:09 PM

Get a small piece of garden hose and use it as a listening device and probe where you can hear it the most-provide pictures of location

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz