THERMOSTAT?

• cjsiefken
  • 1998 Chevrolet S-10

My truck runs well, but when I sit at a stop light for an extended period of time or go thru the drive thru my engine temp goes up.A lot. Then when I pull off the temp slowly goes back to normal.
Im planning on stopping at az for them to run the cpu on it and see if it throws any codes. The check engine light came on about two weeks ago but only stayed on for one day then it went away and hasn't come on since. Thermostat? Any ideas?
Thanks for the help and the effort you all put into this site

Monday, June 25th, 2012 AT 10:32 PM

• saturntech9

If it was a thermostat it wouldnt cool down when the car was driving. Because the thermostat controls the flow of coolant thru the engine. Sounds more like a bad radiator fan clutch. What size engine does it have?

Monday, June 25th, 2012 AT 10:53 PM
  • cjsiefken

2.2l 4cylinder

Tuesday, June 26th, 2012 AT 1:24 AM
  • saturntech9

When the engine warms up can you really hear the radiator fan pushing a lot of air?Also when it warms up can you feel a ton of air being pushed out of the radiator fan shroud towards the engine?

Tuesday, June 26th, 2012 AT 1:34 AM
  • cjsiefken

I will check tomorrow thanks for the idea I found out how to check if the radiator fan clutch is faulty will check back and let you know if that's the problem.

Tuesday, June 26th, 2012 AT 2:50 AM
  • saturntech9

Alright keep me posted on what you find.

Tuesday, June 26th, 2012 AT 5:25 AM