THERMOSTAT?

1998 Chevrolet S-10

cjsiefken

June, 25, 2012 AT 10:32 PM

My truck runs well, but when I sit at a stop light for an extended period of time or go thru the drive thru my engine temp goes up.A lot. Then when I pull off the temp slowly goes back to normal.
Im planning on stopping at az for them to run the cpu on it and see if it throws any codes. The check engine light came on about two weeks ago but only stayed on for one day then it went away and hasn't come on since. Thermostat? Any ideas?
Thanks for the help and the effort you all put into this site

saturntech9

June, 25, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

If it was a thermostat it wouldnt cool down when the car was driving. Because the thermostat controls the flow of coolant thru the engine. Sounds more like a bad radiator fan clutch. What size engine does it have?

cjsiefken

June, 26, 2012 AT 1:24 AM

2.2l 4cylinder

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 1:34 AM

When the engine warms up can you really hear the radiator fan pushing a lot of air?Also when it warms up can you feel a ton of air being pushed out of the radiator fan shroud towards the engine?

cjsiefken

June, 26, 2012 AT 2:50 AM

I will check tomorrow thanks for the idea I found out how to check if the radiator fan clutch is faulty will check back and let you know if that's the problem.

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 5:25 AM

Alright keep me posted on what you find.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet