CHEVY HAVING ISSUES

1998 Chevrolet Metro

whiskers214

May, 18, 2011 AT 3:06 PM

My 1998 chevy metro just started having some issues:
1. Check engine light came on
2. Vehicle seemed more sluggish
3. When idling it doesn't seem to stay at a steady rpm. Never dies but chugs a little bit.
4. Engine shakes when idling
5. Slight rattling when accelerating

i dont know what to do and I dont want to have to put a fortune in this car. I just need it to make a 20 mile round trip and errands 5 days out of the week.

Wrenchtech

May, 18, 2011 AT 3:30 PM

The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.

whiskers214

May, 18, 2011 AT 6:04 PM

I took it to auto zone and they said
1. Bad o2 sensor
2. Bad caytalytic converter
3. Engine misfiring
4. Vacuum issue
this is all I know

Wrenchtech

May, 18, 2011 AT 6:06 PM

I need the exact code numbers, not their interpretation of them.

whiskers214

May, 18, 2011 AT 10:21 PM

P0420

Wrenchtech

May, 18, 2011 AT 10:36 PM

That is an emissions code for catalyst efficiency. It rarely has any effect on engine performance and likely has nothing to do with any of your dirveability issues.

whiskers214

May, 18, 2011 AT 10:39 PM

Well how do I fix that then?

Wrenchtech

May, 18, 2011 AT 10:41 PM

90% of the time it's replace the catalytic converter but you have other problems.