WHAT DOES P0171 CODE MEAN

• sean03
  • 1998 Chevrolet Camaro

What does p0171 code mean. I looked it up and it says that it could be running lean in bank 1. What does that mean. The car is a 1998 Chevy Camaro V8 5.7L.

Friday, December 14th, 2012 AT 9:16 PM

• caradiodoc

The exhaust from the driver's side is too lean. A vacuum leak could introduce unmetered air the computer doesn't know about. An injector could be partially blocked with varnish. A misfiring cylinder will flow unburned fuel and air into the exhaust where only the unburned oxygen will be detected. A leak in the exhaust system could allow air to be drawn in before the oxygen sensor.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 2:12 AM
  • sean03

I know I have a pcv hose that is torn to pieces. Could that be causing this or not. Thanks.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 2:21 AM
  • caradiodoc

Chrysler is the only manufacturer that has been able to make an engine run right without a mass air flow sensor. For everyone else, any air that sneaks in that doesn't go through that sensor doesn't get included in the fuel needs calculation. That includes a leak in the fresh air tube between the mass air flow sensor and throttle body, a cracked or leaking vacuum hose, a leaking intake manifold gasket, or "a pcv hose that is torn to pieces". Replace that first, then see if the code comes back. I don't know if your Check Engine light will be off when you restart the engine, but if the problem isn't detected again, the code should self-erase after as many as 50 starts.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 2:39 AM