SUSPENSION

1998 BMW 323

Mpetruescu

I got a 1998 bmw 323is 130,000 miles manual rear drive. My problem is that the back tire slips a lot on wet bumpy roads, I checked the tire they are in good condition. Some people said it might be the suspension or the Stabilizer. I need to know how do I check if my suspension is standard or sport?

Sway Bar

1 ANSWER

Sway Bar

1 ANSWER

Dr. Hagerty

January, 13, 2011 AT 1:38 AM

Send me the last 7 of the VIN and I will be able to tell you. 323is usually means sport, so it might be a reasonable guess that it is sport. That information alone means little when it comes to repairing the problem, unless some item that is unique to the sport suspension is broken and requires replacement.

Mpetruescu

January, 13, 2011 AT 9:52 AM

EH41867
Well I was thinking about replacing the shocks many people who rode my car said I should. I can even feel it slipping a little on dry bumpy road.

Dr. Hagerty

31311091269 Realoem. Com shows it as a low slung suspension. This is a great site, check it out and let me know what you think. The part number is for the front strut, the rear shocks should be replaced along with the top mounts. The front tower mounts shold be replaced as well. If you would like to upgrade the suspension, let me know. It wont be cheap, but it will make a huge difference!

Mpetruescu

Good site, so if I replace the rear shocks I should also replace the top mounts?And the front mounts?Lets say if im thinking of replacing the front struts and the rear shock plus the mounts would that be wise?What about upgrading the suspension can I do it a little at a time or what kind of parts would I need to get?

Dr. Hagerty

I like Bilstein shocks, they are the top of the line in my opinion. And yes, the tower mounts for the front and the shock mounts for the rear should be replaced at this time. You can choose to do one end of the car now at the other end at some future date, it's totally up to you mate. I have a source for the Billies, let me know what you decide.

Mpetruescu

Nice I would like to do the rear fist with the bilstein shocks

Dr. Hagerty

Shockwarehouse. Com is probably the place to go, I called my guy in town and their business went belly up due to a death in their family : ( Rear billies, sport suspension, and new rear shock mounts should do the trick.

Mpetruescu

Hello again, i guess im doing something wrong because im having a hard time finding the shocks for the car,Shockwarehouse.com has shocks but only for Convertable models with Sport Suspension, not just regular sports suspension.other web site i found a lot but they only had the struts. i found a web site but im not sure if its right. if you can take a look at it i would appreciate it.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1998/bmw/323is/suspension/shock_absorber.html
the second one from the bottom but im not sure about the lift/drop part, as far as i know my car hasent been lifted or lowered. or should i get the other ones near the top?

Dr. Hagerty

W0133-1662236
Sport rear, there it is mate! You found it.

Dr. Hagerty

And at $87 apiece, a good deal indeed!?

Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars