98 3.0L TRANS PROBLEM. SOLENOID MAYBE?

1998 Acura CL

shaunx

January, 15, 2011 AT 2:59 AM

1998 Acura cl 3.0L transmission problem. OBD2 code p0740 tc clutch system falure. And p0730 incorrect gear ratio. Car starts in first fine but around 25 30 mph it is like it goes into neutral till I rev rpms high for a while. Then it will finally shift. At highway speed it is fine. I assume it is a solenoid failure. But with one? Does any one out there have the testing prosedure for the cl's solenoids? Thanks and god bless, Shaun

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

Here are the diagnostic procrdures.

DTC P0730/41: SHIFT CONTROL SYSTEM
NOTE: DO NOT perform this DTC test until all other DTCs have been repaired first.

1. Using scan tool, retrieve A/T freeze data. Clear fault codes and road test vehicle under same conditions freeze data was recorded. If fault code returns, go to next step. If fault code does not return, problem is intermittent, check transaxle and PCM connections.

2. Road test vehicle at over 12 MPH for more than 30 seconds in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Using scan tool, check for any other DTCs. If any other DTCs are present, repair those DTCs first, then recheck for DTC P0730/41. If no other DTCs are present, go to next step.

3. Test clutch pressure. If clutch pressure is within specification, go to next step. If clutch pressure is not within specification, repair hydraulic system as necessary.

4. Replace lock-up control solenoid valve/shift control solenoid valve "A" assembly and shift control solenoid valves "B" and "C". Turn ignition off and clear codes. Road test vehicle at over 12 MPH for more than 30 seconds in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Recheck DTCs. If P0730/41 returns, replace transaxle. If P0730/41 does not return, system is okay.

DTC P0740/40: LOCK-UP CONTROL SYSTEM

2. Using scan tool, check for any other DTCs. If any other DTCs are present, repair those DTCs first, then recheck for DTC P0740/40. If no other DTCs are present, go to next step.

3. Test line pressure. If line pressure is within specification, go to next step. If line pressure is not within specification, repair hydraulic system as necessary.

4. Test clutch pressure. If clutch pressure is within specification, go to next step. If clutch pressure is not within specification, repair hydraulic system as necessary.

5. Replace lock-up control solenoid valve/shift control solenoid valve "A" assembly. Turn ignition off and clear codes. Road test vehicle at over 50 MPH for more than one minute. Recheck DTCs. If P0740/40 returns, go to next step. If P0740/40 does not return, system is okay.

6. Replace A/T clutch pressure control solenoid assembly. Turn ignition off and clear codes. Road test vehicle at over 50 MPH for more than one minute. Recheck DTCs. If P0740/40 returns, go to next step. If P0740/40 does not return, system is okay.

7. Replace torque converter. Turn ignition off and clear codes. Road test vehicle at over 55 MPH for more than one minute. Recheck DTCs. If P0740/40 returns, replace transaxle and torque converter. If P0740/40 does not return, system is okay.

shaunx

Ok, Thanks for the reply. I found a service manual for the cl. I preformed the 12 volt tests on all the solenoids. I noticed on the solenoid a/b that one solenoid made a click clack noise the other made just a click noise? And the lock up solenoids both made more of a tick noise when 12 volts was applied, like they were stuck or something. B and c made healthily click clack noises. All soleniods measured within spec resistance on a meter. Is seems like the lock up/ shift control would be the the best bet at this point. I do not have the money to just replace multiple solenoids, like michael calls for, do you think I should start with lock out/shift control first? And then replace pressure control A/B if problem persists, or does one going bad damage the other?
Thanks, Shaun

Not all the solenoids would click with the same noise level and the difference in noise level might not indicate the solenoid is faulty.

Generally most transmission with above codes do not get resolved with solenoid replacements and you have to be prepared for that. It could be a clutch slipping internally resulting in the incorrect gear ratio.

If you wish to replace solenoids and has limitd funds, the only way is to start with the one you think most likely after tests and pray that it works.

Have you tested the line pressures?

shaunx

Ok, I don't have a trans oil pressure gauge. And I assume you can not read from the pressure switches via can on my computer/scan tool. I replaced the lock up solenoid/ shift control A assembly. And the p0740 code went away and did not come back. And now if I start out in 1st or 2nd gear it operates properly. But in d3 or d4 around 30 or so mph it is like it goes into neutral until I almost stop then it shifts down again and moves again. I removed the clutch pressure control a/b solenoid assembly and notice the gasket is saturated and is almost gone in the middle as you see in picture. Could this cause these problems?

shaunx

Here is a picture with less flash.

If there are internal pressure leaks due to the faulty gasket, it can cause the problem described.

shaunx

January, 21, 2011 AT 1:09 AM

Ok, I replaced the gasket and now it does not through any codes. But It still does the same thing. As soon as it goes to shift into 3rd the engine surges and car goes no where till I come to almost a stop then goes again. I assume the transmission is bad?

January, 21, 2011 AT 2:24 AM

Yes, the 3rd cluth seems to be slipping.

shaunx

So I bought another rebuilt transmission, installed it. And now I have more problems. This is becoming a nightmare. This time it seems like it shifts randomly. It starts out fine in first then around 20 mph it clunks into 3rd or 4th and the around 30 mph it jumps back into first or second and rpms shoot up. And jumps back and forth randomly? The only shift position it acts normal in is 1st. And I'm getting a 730 code again. I checked all solenoids click and show normal resistance. Any ideas. Did I manage to pick up another bad trans?
Thanks, shaun

shaunx

I forgot to mention, there is no slipping on this trans. Just weird random, hard shifting?
Thanks, Shaun

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage