TROUBLESHOOTING AN IGNITER

1997 Toyota Celica

Ed Tennyson

June, 30, 2011 AT 7:45 PM

How can I troubleshoot the igniter on a celica with a 2.2 engine with a multimeter to determine if it is bad?The engine was scanned and showed a open or short in igniter or wiring. When it acts up it just quits and then will start but will not stay running.

June, 30, 2011 AT 10:26 PM

I don't think there's a problem with the igniter bcuz if it was, it won't start. The computer has to get the G and Ne signal in order to send an Igt to the igniter to fire the coil from then and Igf signal will go back to the computer indicating that combustion has occured and then repeats all over

Try checking the idle air control valve and mass airflow sensor/throttle position to include the EGR valve

ltiblierjr

September, 19, 2012 AT 3:15 PM

I have a 1997, as well, it will crank but won't stay running it keeps dying I've replaced the Fuel pump/filter, MAP Sensor and now am being told by the mechanic that it's a $300 ignitor. Which I know what he is full of. Still miffed and about to pull my car off his lot

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang