TRANSMISSION INTERCHANGE

1997 Subaru Outback

MMarsh

December, 29, 2010 AT 11:03 PM

What model and year automatic transmissions can I use for a replacement for my 97 outback legacy.

mhpautos

These should be compatible, I can't find a reference # for the trans, so ask your dealer for a trans code I.D and just make sure that what ever you get is the same.

MMarsh

I am sceptical about this answer since I THINK that at least some of the 98 subaru legacys and foresters switched over to the phase 2 transmission which I understand are not compatible with phase 1's. I have also seen discussions in other forums that indicate that 94 through 97 legacies may be interchangable regardless of the engine (2.2 versus 2.5 liter). That would certainly open up may options. Also there is no mention about whether all engines are compatible with the same transmissons. I notice that the expert is from Australia - are the same models and transmission combinations used in the US and Australia?

mhpautos

January, 3, 2011 AT 12:26 AM

This information was taken from the Mitchell 1 data base which is a US system, this is the only models that they mention, you may be able to get more info from local dealers, as models may differ from country to country.

Automatic Transmission Service
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars