Rear window defroster does not work.

LALFAN
  • 1997 SATURN SC1

Trying to figure out what wires should be hot and at what time. Book I have doesnt show much for wiring on it. Had four wires hot with a test light then I have two and one real dim. Fuse is good. Tried different relay and switch. The little light dont come on. Turning on the headlight the other light will come on n I know which wire that is. It is the only swith on that plug. Thanks

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 2:32 AM

CADIEMAN

You have a damaged grid. They sell a repair kit. But its only for small repairs. Replacing the glass is your only option

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 2:46 AM
SATURNTECH9

So with the key in the run position and you press the defroster button it doesnt light up?Have you tried unplugging the chime module and plugging it back in?

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 2:53 AM
LALFAN

No but I pulled the fuse n the radio went out. The chime dont work with doors open n key in it or on

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 4:22 AM
SATURNTECH9

So unplug the chime module and plug it back in and see if everything works make sure the module is fully seated. Let me know if that fixes it.

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 4:28 AM
LALFAN

So is it the orange box on the back side of the fuse box

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 4:31 AM
SATURNTECH9

Yes and theres a tab on the bottom of it holding it in push down on the tab and pull the module out. Make sure there is no corrossion on the modules tabs. Let me know what happens.

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 4:36 AM
LALFAN

Some youngerkids had it n changed stereo in it n messed with things in this area. Wasnt sure what wires where hot at what time n where they all went to. Book doesnt show much. I will try after work tomorrow. Thanks

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 4:41 AM
SATURNTECH9

Alright try that and see if it works let me know and we will go from there.

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 4:47 AM
LALFAN

Pulling chime did nothing. The wiring in the plug for switck left to right is yellow pink light blue then to the right side is black white brown green brown. Key off pink has power. Key on pink is dim, white is dim, brown has full power. The brown to the far right is on with headlights. Pushing on the switch n checking it doesnt change anything.

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 10:42 PM
SATURNTECH9

Check all these wires with the switch unplugged. Brown should have power with the key in the run position. The black wire should have 2 ohms or less to ground. With the switch plugged in and the key in the run position turning the switch on the light blue wire should have 2 ohms or less to ground.

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 1:20 AM
LALFAN

Meter set on 20k black wire was0.04. Set on 20 k key on switch pushed light blue was 0.46. A different switch I have test light blue ohms was jumping around alot. Rechecked the other switch must got little better ground seem to hold better.

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 10:35 PM
SATURNTECH9

Do you have a 200 ohm setting on your meter?Were looking for 2 ohms or less to ground.

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 11:23 PM
LALFAN

01.7 on black n 08.0 light blue on 200

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 1:15 AM
SATURNTECH9

Try turning on the rear window defroster and see if you have power and ground to the rear grid.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 1:53 AM
LALFAN

With the wires that I have power at the switch, when I turn it on shouldnt I get power to another wire that will run the grid. Using a test light n pushing the switch power does not change on other wires. If I turn it on I should have power to the one wire on the edge of the glass. Dont they do some testing with foil on the probe n run it down the lines in the glass. How do u check the ground on it.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 2:25 AM
CADIEMAN

Have you tested each line on the grid for power with the test light.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 6:08 PM
LALFAN

No because I dont think im getting power on all the right wires at the switch to turn it on. The first time I went to check it I thought I had power on more of the wires than I do right now n my wiring diagram is not real good. Its just a haynes for s model saturns, but shows better diagram for older cars than a 97. So I would like to make sure on that. I sold a sl1 to a friend and I might get it and compare them to make sure if nobody knows what is hot at what time. Pushing the switch does not change power in any of the wires. I thought it should put power to another wire to go to the window.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 10:32 PM
SATURNTECH9

The switch sends a ground to the chime module when pressed. With the switch on at the grid the drivers side connector is power the passenger side connector is ground.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 10:43 PM
LALFAN

Wasnt sure which side was power or ground at window. Checked both sides, pushing switch several times n had nothing. The little yellow light at switch does not come on. So I if the chime dont work will that stop it from working because it doesnt work with doors open key on or lights on.

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 12:32 AM
SATURNTECH9

Yeah the chime module will take out the rear window defroster since it runs thru it.

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 12:51 AM