MY 1997 SUNFIRE IS STALLING RUNNING ROUGH AS IF ...

• lynnkathleen
  • 1997 Pontiac Sunfire
  • 240 miles

My 1997 sunfire is stalling, running rough as if timing is off, grayish smoke coming out of exhaust, will not accelerate, transmission is winding out really far before changing gears, black smoke, felt like I had a flat tire. Just put a new starter in it last week, new catalytic converter, has 240,000 miles. Was running great 3 days ago. Serviced regularly. Please help we can't pay for an answer. We have hack mechanics trying to help us. My boyfriend is great with cars and started restoring a 66 Nova until he went blind 15 years ago. It is still sitting. I am unemployed and really desperate for some feedback. Thank you!

Thursday, March 21st, 2013 AT 8:33 PM

• Wrenchtech

You need to start out by having the computer codes read and post the code numbers here.

Thursday, March 21st, 2013 AT 8:43 PM
  • lynnkathleen

Thank you. We have to find someone to read the codes. And then it will be possible to give a diagnosis of some kind?

Thursday, March 21st, 2013 AT 8:52 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Most nationally recognized parts stores will scan the computer for free. If there is an Auto Zone, Advance auto. Near, contact them.

Friday, March 22nd, 2013 AT 1:10 AM
  • lynnkathleen

We went to Advance and the only code was PO300. Which the guy said was meant the car was just misfiring, that's all. Thanks for your help. I wish we could narrow it down.

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 10:37 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Yes, that does leave a lot of unknown things. Random misfire can be caused by any number of things.
What engine does this have?

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 10:41 PM
  • lynnkathleen

4 cyl 2.4 quad 4. Thanks :)

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 10:51 PM
  • Wrenchtech

OK, that's what I suspected/ This engine has a very common problem. The whit coil housing cracks internally causing misfiring. Make sure the plugs are in good shape and have no cracks in the porcelain, then I would replace the coil housing. It cost about $40.

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 10:58 PM
  • Wrenchtech

It's #7 in the picture

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt106/Desi501/Quad4ignition-1.gif

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 11:05 PM
  • lynnkathleen

Thank you. Is that also the reason for the other problems because a friend of ours said it was the coil also and I don't trust that guy. Lol, but thank you!

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 11:17 PM
  • lynnkathleen

Also, how difficult is this to install? My boyfriend is blind but with an extra set of eyes he has built and dropped a few engines in his Nova, installed the starter, and other things. Thanks again

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 11:20 PM