MITSU IDLES, RUNS ROUGH, AND STALLS.

1997 Mitsubishi Galant

Galant97

April, 13, 2011 AT 4:00 PM

I have a 97 mitsubishi galant, 4 cylinder, it starts up, runs choppy as hell, and sometimes stalls. When it does idle though, rpms fluctuate from 1000-1200. Also spark plugs 1-3 are quite black but nothing too crazy, and the number 4 plug remains in mint condition. There are no lights on in the dashboard so I don't think a code will be thrown. There is also a small leak from the front driver side in my oil pan I believe. Any ideas as to what my problem/problems may be?

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

April, 13, 2011 AT 4:57 PM

http://s4.postimage.org/12rar0n50/misubishi_galant.jpg

With the idle, the list of possibilities is as long as your arm. I'd clean the throttle-body and idle air control. How long since a tune-up?

Galant97

April, 13, 2011 AT 5:06 PM

I'll get right to that after work and get back to you, as for the tune-up, not sure as I just traded another car for it and haven't had it for long. It has been sitting for a few months since it was a little too cold for me to do anything. Thanks for info too, diddn't think I would get a reply at all.

April, 13, 2011 AT 5:15 PM

Not a problem, let us know.

Galant97

April, 13, 2011 AT 9:19 PM

I was told that I get no spark on the fourth cylinder. Could this cause the motor to shake, and idle to fluctuate? Plug wires appear fine, could they still be bad? Lastly I was told to replace my coil pack by another person who looked at it. If plug wire 4 is removed when the car is idling, there is no change. Wires 1-3 make a definate change though.

April, 24, 2011 AT 7:20 PM

A dead cylinder will causae a rough idle.