HOW TO SET TIMING

• amauto
  • 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

I was givin a 1997 Eclipse 2.0 dohc non turbo. The timing belt broke on it, so I pulled the head and sent it out to be re worked. Before I pulled the head I did compression check. #1 75 psi #2 80 psi #3 35 psi and #4 0 psi.
The cam sprockets are not original they are aftermarket adjustable ones. After the head came back I installed it set the timing 1/2 notch btdc on crank and cam dowel pins set at 12 oclock. Turned it twice and checked, all marks were in time. Before starting the car I did compression check. #1 30 psi #2 30 psi #3 65 psi and #4 0 psi. I did a leak down test on pistons and nothing changed. Checked valve clearance that was fine. Reset timing and got 30 psi across board in all cylinders. I know I need a minimum of 175 psi. Head gasket new, head bolts new, everything torqued to spec. Please I need help to get this car back running.

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 AT 2:16 AM

• rasmataz

Low on all cylinders the rings and cylinders are worned-The engine needs overhauling

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 AT 2:43 AM
  • amauto

I did a leak down test on each cylinder. It does have OBX cam gears. Also every time I adjust timing the compression changes. Meaning gets better.

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 AT 3:16 AM
  • fixitmr

Have you checked our database of timing diagrams? It may be there.

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 AT 4:14 AM
  • KHLow2008

Try pumping some engine oil into the cylinders to lubricate the piston rings and retest the compression.

For the cam timing, start with the basic, get the cam timing correct by setting it to standard with a standard cam sprocket.

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 AT 5:24 PM
  • amauto

I appreciate everyones input on my eclipse, all but the one stating my engines shot with out even helping to diag it. After beating my head on the car I decided to visit Mitchell again and found that there is a TSB on the timing marks. I set them to the TSB'S and retested and behold I got my compression back. 210 across the board. Car is now back and running better then ever.

Thursday, May 17th, 2012 AT 2:00 AM
  • rasmataz

Hey buddy, am just trying to help you out-I went with your readings-whether its a wet/dry and cylinder leakage tests-I wasn't aware of your super OBX cam gears prior to me answering your question, this is what happens when an engine is modified and we don't know -we attempt to fix as OEM part-Next time I should know better, appreciate your comment and good luck

Thursday, May 17th, 2012 AT 3:31 AM
  • fixitmr

Great news. Good work on your part.

Thursday, May 17th, 2012 AT 8:55 PM
  • amauto

Ok so The eclipse runs really good, but it is leaking oil from exhaust manifold near #4 port. Also has oil in cylinder 4. This head was re worked with all new valves and seals. My compression is still with in spec. This will be the third time in one week I would have to pull this head, But before I do I read up on other people having this problem, but no one seem to resolve this issue. Any ideas before I tear down again? Thanks

Friday, May 18th, 2012 AT 4:10 AM
  • fixitmr

Were valves bent form belt break? Did they put new valve guides in? Did they forget a seal on #4?

Monday, May 21st, 2012 AT 8:05 PM
  • amauto

I know they replaced all the valves cause I have the old ones. They said they replaced all the seals. I figured after paying over 500 bucks to have the head re worked they better be new. I am going to pull the head tomorrow and find out. I did read up that there is a TSB on head gasket, Stating that when the head is re worked that a thicker gasket should be used, But if the gasket was leaking I would think there would be coolant mixed aswell?

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 AT 2:24 AM