ENGINE SPUTTERS AND CUTS OUT BUT DOESN’T STALL.

1997 Honda CRV

arezee

March, 7, 2012 AT 1:23 PM

Hi,
I have a 1997 Honda CRV. 130,000 K. NO check engine light.

The car starts and runs fine but after 3 to 5 miles, it sputters and cuts out but doesn’t stall.
It does this when cold or hot. I can drive it for 15 miles stop and turn it off and it will act up again within 3 to 5 miles. It will continue like this for 1 to3 minutes.

Stepping on the gas while it is doing this seems like it boughs out no spark or fuel.
I changed spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel line, rear oxygen sensor.
Checked the vacuum it reads in the green and steady with no leaks. Adjusted the valves they were in specs.
I had the injectors professionally cleaned. PVC valve replaced.

My wife has a 1999 Honda CRV. I switched the ignition module, fuel pressure regulator, throttle body, idle air control valve and the car still acts up. It’s been this way for almost a year.
Thanks, Arezee

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

March, 7, 2012 AT 2:37 PM

Wow, lots of parts replaced.
The light either has a burned out bulb, blown fuse for that circuit or the pcm has failed.

March, 7, 2012 AT 5:56 PM

Did you check the PGM-FI main relay?

One way of checking the problem would be to plug in a scan tool and monitor the arious sensors to see if any ids not working correctly.

arezee

March, 7, 2012 AT 7:04 PM

I changed the PGM-FI main relay from my wife's CRV no change, same problem.
The check engine light works when the key is turned on and goes out after a few seconds. The CEL comes on when I disconnect the TPS or the map sensor.
There are no code stored.

March, 8, 2012 AT 1:01 PM

At the intake manifold there is a groundng point for the sensors and PCM. Try cleaning and resecuring if it does not seem good.

Check the alternator charging rate and maybe you can swap the battery from your wife's vehicle to test.