THE AUTOMATIC SUNROOF FOR MY CIVIC STOPPED ...

1997 Honda Civic

97CCSalvador

October, 23, 2012 AT 3:58 AM

The automatic sunroof for my Civic stopped working. It operated two ways: (1) I could press the button and pop it up in the back like the manual sunroofs; or, (2) I could press the button and the sunroof would lower itself slightly and slide back to open the roof. Now when I press either button, the roof lowers itself like it's going to slide back, but keeps making noise and won't slide back. The popup button makes noise but the roof doesn't popup. I was hoping it was something simple like a belt came off track or something, but I know "zero" about that kind of thing.

rivermikerat

October, 23, 2012 AT 12:16 PM

It probably is something simple like that, but you really should pick up a Chilton's or Haynes manual for the car. There's a bunch of little steps with fine print and detailed pictures on how to get into the mechanism to check and repair as needed.

What I found is this: Remove headliner. Remove 2-pin connector from motor. Run (large gauge) jumper to battery + and -. See if motor turns. Reverse jumpers. Verify motor operation. If motor doesn't turn in both directions, replace motor.

If motor works, use a meter or test light to make sure motor is receiving power and that it changes polarity when the different buttons are pressed.

97CCSalvador

October, 24, 2012 AT 12:12 AM

Thank you for the help, rivermikerat.

rivermikerat

October, 24, 2012 AT 1:53 AM

My pleasure. Let me know how it goes.

Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Dynamat Door Installation
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy