IGNITION PROBLEMS

1997 GMC Sierra

JimE

October, 10, 2011 AT 5:26 PM

97 Sierra 2500 Diesel 4x4. Key gets stuck in ignition at times. When it does, truck runs at 1/4 power, lights are dim, most everything electrical is not working properly. Have to play with ignition and key, finally get it out, restart truck and still only 1/4 power. This is happening quite often now. Took 1/2 hour to finally get the power up to full so I could drive the last time it did it. Do I need to replace the ignition? Do I have to pull the steering wheel to do so? What else could it be if not this? I'm stumped!

rivermikerat

October, 10, 2011 AT 5:35 PM

It definitely sounds like you need to replace at least the lock cylinder. See the image for the lock cylinder removal process.

As for the loss of power, I don't see how the lock cylinder problem can have an affect on it. Take it somewhere that will do a full scan for free, after you replace the lock cylinder. We'll go from there.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro