BRAKE BOOSTER ISSUE

1997 GMC Jimmy

fourstarchef

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:15 PM

Is it possible for a brake booster to fail without any residual fluid leaking

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:24 PM

You must be refering to the master cylinder. Brake booster is vacuum operated and does not use any fluids. Yes, master cylinders can fail internally with minimal or no leakages.

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:24 PM

Yes, What is it doing? Try this while engine is off-pump brakes a few times hold in and then start car-did the brake pedal drop inward?

fourstarchef

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:44 PM

It's giving the hissing noise when the pedal is depressed. It's like stopping a non PB vehicle. The abs motor, is functioning correctly(it's pushing back on the pedal when brakes are applied)I see no fluid leakage anywhere. Fluid is a bit dirty, but still where it belongs. Valve on the manifold, and booster work fine, no leaks in the vacuum hose. A true quagmire

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:47 PM

The brake booster diagphram has ruptured

fourstarchef

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

So, that being the case. Why can't I find a rebuild kit for it. If you can buy rebuilt boosters from auto stores, someone has to sell the kits

August, 6, 2012 AT 10:24 PM

You have to replace the brake booster-I don't think it comes with a rebuild kit-

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front