TRANSMISSION NOT ENGAGING IN DRIVE OR REVERSE WHEN SHIFTING.

1997 Ford F-150

mdacrunge

June, 23, 2012 AT 10:41 PM

I just completed an engine replacement in my '97 F150, 4.6 V8, 2WD truck. I did not notice any torque converter slippage, and no major issues connecting the new engine to the transmission. The engine starts and runs fine, but when I tried to test drive it, the shifter will move to R, N, D, 1, &2 and the linkage moves but the tansmission will not engage into gear. I have also checked and re-checked the transmission fluid level several times. It seems as though I may have a defective linkage or a sensor of some kind that I may have either not connected properly or has gone bad that would cause this. I have a very limited amount of experience with transmissions. Any thoughts on this problem?

June, 23, 2012 AT 10:58 PM

Try checking the transmission range sensor-let me know

mdacrunge

June, 25, 2012 AT 7:05 PM

Not sure how to check that. I know where it is but the only thing I could come up with was to see if the car will start in P and N and it will. Also the reverse lights come on when shifting to R. We got it to shift and go in to R and D, but we had to really push the accelerator pedal down to get it to move. Once going it shifted fine.

June, 25, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

You have a transmission problem-bring it in to a transmission specialty shop and have it looked at-also the TRS this the one that tells the computer what gear is it in and then commands the transmission

mdacrunge

July, 2, 2012 AT 6:26 PM

Took it in to the transmission shop. Apparently we accidentally stabbed the pump with the torque converter. : ( Anyway, $1800 later should be good as new! Thanks for the suggestions.

rivermikerat

July, 20, 2012 AT 1:53 AM

Sorry about the hard hit to the wallet. This is why I usually prefer to connect the engine and trans outside of the vehicle. I've creased/perforated too many front seals to do it any other way anymore.